email@example.com | 910-763-9891 x 227
Matthew’s law practice focuses on litigation, community association law, and generally counseling businesses and non-profits. Matthew strives to provide a client-centric practice driven by a dedication to client service, as most readily seen through prompt response to client communications, fair billing, a steady presence, and a results-oriented approach dictated by each client’s specific goals and circumstances.
Here is a snapshot of his practice:
Business Litigation – Matthew is an experienced litigator having managed numerous business and commercial disputes to successful conclusion. Matthew litigates cases in both federal and state courts, including the North Carolina Business Court, which involve disputes arising out of breach of fiduciary duties, unfair trade practices, real estate purchase agreements, promissory notes, guarantees, commercial leases, shareholders agreements, and governing documents for closely-held corporations and LLCs.
Community Associations (HOAs and Condominiums) – One part business, one part government, community associations and their volunteer directors bear significant powers and responsibilities that regularly require legal counsel. Matthew represents community associations in practically all facets of their legal needs, including litigation, amendments to governing documents, covenant and restriction violations, collections, and resolving board and neighborhood disputes. Where appropriate, Matthew also represents individual homeowners in HOA disputes.
General Counsel and Document Support – Overlapping with his business litigation and community association practices, Matthew also assists small businesses and closely held companies in routine and ongoing matters, such as contract preparation and negotiation, preparation of corporate records, and corporate governance issues. Matthew recognizes small business cost sensitivities and enjoys providing first-class corporate counsel at attractive rates.
- Community Associations (HOAs, POAs, Condos, Townhouses)
- General Counsel to Businesses
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2004, Staff Writer – First Amendment Law Review
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 2000
- North Carolina, 2004
- U.S. District Courts for Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina, 2005
- Marshall, Williams & Gorham, L.L.P., Partner (2012-Present), Associate (2010-2011)
- Morgan Stanley, New York, N.Y., Prime Brokerage Documentation Negotiator (2008-2009)
- Axiom Legal, New York, N.Y., Engagement Manager (2007-2008)
- Young Moore and Henderson, P.A., Raleigh, N.C., Litigation Associate (2004-2006)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Community Association Institute
CHARITABLE AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- First Presbyterian Church, Deacon; Vice Chair of Personnel Committee
- Wilmington Rotary, Co-Chair of Williston Middle School Legacy Project
- Family Promise of the Lower Cape Fear, Director
- “What About Animals?,” presented to the Community Association Institute, North Carolina Chapter, March, 2014